North Dakota Vehicle Titles
Instructions for Signing a Vehicle Title in North Dakota (Private Party Sale)
When selling a vehicle privately in North Dakota, it is important to properly sign and transfer the vehicle title to the new owner. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Complete the Seller Information:
– On the front of the vehicle title, fill in your name, address, and date of sale as the seller.
– Provide your current odometer reading and check the appropriate box indicating whether it reflects the actual mileage or is not the actual mileage.
2. Complete the Buyer Information:
– Provide the buyer’s full name and address in the appropriate section on the front of the title.
– The buyer will also need to sign and date the title in the designated spaces.
3. Complete the Purchase Price:
– On the back of the vehicle title, fill in the purchase price of the vehicle in the appropriate section under “Sale Price.”
4. Provide a Bill of Sale:
– While not required in North Dakota, it is highly recommended to complete a Bill of Sale for your records. Include the vehicle information (make, model, year, and VIN), the purchase price, the seller’s and buyer’s names and addresses, and the date of sale. Both parties should sign and keep a copy of the Bill of Sale.
5. Obtain a Notarized Signature:
– If there is an “AND” or “OR” connector between two names on the front of the title, the signature of the seller(s) needs to be notarized.
– Visit a notary public and sign the title in their presence.
– Alternatively, if both parties cannot be present, the seller can sign the title in the presence of a notary and provide a notarized Power of Attorney form to the buyer, authorizing them to sign on the seller’s behalf.
– This step may not be necessary if there is no “AND” or “OR” connector.
6. Hand Over the Title:
– After signing the title and completing the necessary sections, remove it from the vehicle document folder or glove compartment.
– Advise the buyer to take immediate possession of the signed title.
7. Provide Additional Documentation:
– Provide the buyer with any additional supporting documents, such as maintenance records, warranties, or service history.
8. Notify the Department of Transportation (optional but advisable):
– Submit a Notice of Vehicle Sale (Form SFN 2876) to the North Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT) to record the sale and release yourself from liability after the date of sale. This can be done online at the DOT website or by mailing the completed form to the address provided.
Remember, it is essential to complete all the necessary paperwork accurately and keep copies for your records when selling a vehicle privately in North Dakota. If you have any questions or need further guidance, consider contacting the North Dakota Department of Transportation for assistance.